Unlike regular stories that disappear from your profile in 24 hours, Instagram story highlights live on your profile permanently (until you delete them). Your story highlights live just under your bio and just above your feed — so highlights are a great place to showcase your best content. Highlights are a great place to introduce visitors to your company and let them know what your company is all about.
Highlights can include multiple stories. I suggest categorizing the stories you would like to highlight, then create a different highlight for each category. For example, the highlights I currently have on my @craftyourbrand profile are: Ask Amy, Recommendations, & Wallpaper. I plan to add an “About” highlight where I introduce myself and also a “Services” highlight where I outline the types of services I offer.
How to Create an Instagram Story Highlight on Your Profile:
A good first step would be to turn on Instagram’s Auto-Archiving Feature. Open Instagram and go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Story Controls. Then make sure “Save to Archive” is enabled. As long as you keep the auto-archiving feature turned on, you can save and re-share stories after the 24 hour time period has passed. Stories that live in your archive are not visible to anyone but you.
If the story you want to use in your highlight already exists in your stories archive:
- From your IG profile, tap the “+” button to create a new highlight (under your bio).
- Select which stories you want to include in this highlight. Tap “Next.”
- Type in a name for your highlight.
- Tap “Edit Cover.” You can choose which story you’d like to use for the cover image OR you can upload an image of your own.
- Tap “Done.”
- Tap “Add.”
- Your new highlight will show up on your profile.
If you want to add a new story to your highlight:
- You must create and post the story that you’d like to add to your highlight.
- From your IG profile, tap the clock icon in the upper left corner to view your stories archive.
- Click on the story that you want to add then click “highlight” at the bottom of the story.
- Add the story to an existing highlight OR create a new highlight.
How to Edit a Highlight
Once your highlight is showing on your profile, you can click on the highlight to edit it. Then tap “More.” You can choose to “Remove from highlight” or “Edit highlight.” You can edit the stories that are included, change the name of the highlight, or change the cover image of the highlight.
Choosing a Cover Image for your Highlight
When choosing a cover image for your highlight (see instructions above), you have the choice of using one of your stories as a cover image OR you can upload an image of your own. When choosing the cover image for your highlight, keep your overall aesthetic in mind. You’ll want to use similar colors and fonts to give your profile a cohesive and branded look. If you checkout the highlights on my profile, you’ll see that I created a highlight in each of the 6 colors I’ve chosen for my brand. I also used simple, white icons to depict what each highlight is about.
Tip: If you aren’t able to design your own highlight covers, there are many options online that you can download for free or for a nominal fee.
Content Ideas for Story Highlights
- Introduce yourself, tell your brand story, or share something unique about your brand
- Introduce your team (if applicable)
- Showcase products or collections of products
- Showcase frequent topics you post about
- Highlight the services you offer
- Use Highlights as a portfolio to showcase your work
- Educate with tutorials or how-to’s
- Events, if applicable
- Showcase UGC (user-generated content)
- Showcase any press you’ve received
- Showcase reviews, testimonials or recommendations
- Brands: Create a highlight to showcase affiliates & ad partners
- Influencers: Create a highlight to showcase influencers, brand ambassadors, or Instagram Stories takeovers if any of those apply.
- Highlight sales, promotions, or campaigns, then remove the highlight from your profile once the sale, etc. is over.
- Feature blog posts, articles, Instagram posts, podcasts, content on other channels (IGTV, for instance).
- Phone wallpapers that viewers can screenshot and use as the backdrop on their phone
- Use the question sticker to allow people to ask you questions
- Post frequently asked questions + answers
Story Highlight Limitations
You can add up to 100 photos or videos to your highlight and you can create an many different highlights as you like. If you add more than 100 clips to a highlight then the first one will be removed and added to your archive.